Phone: Lab Number: +55 (051) 3303-8871
Office Phone Number: +55 (051) 3303-8871
Universidade Federal de Ciências da Saúde de Porto Alegre (UFCSPA), Rua Sarmento Leite, 245 - Porto Alegre - RS - Brasil - CEP 90050-170
Alexandre Bonatto Alexandre Bonatto is a professor of the Exact and Applied Social Sciences Department (DECESA) at the Universidade Federal de Ciências da Saúde de Porto Alegre – UFCSPA (2016). He holds academic degrees as a Bachelor in Physics (2005), an M.Sc. in Physics (2008), and a Ph.D. in Physics (2013) from the Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (2013). He accomplished post-doctoral periods at the Universidade Federal do Paraná (2013), Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (2014-2015), and University of Manchester / Cockcroft Institute (2019-present). At UFCSPA, he is a member and coordinator of the Beam Physics Group (GFF).
He investigates the dynamics of beams and laser pulses propagating in plasmas, including plasma-based particle acceleration and the use of passive and active plasma lenses to control beam transverse dynamics and to decelerate electron beams with reduced production of ionizing radiation and secondary particles. He is also interested in radiotherapy using charged particles (VHEE, proton therapy), nonlinear dynamics, neural networks, and synchronization phenomena in biological systems.
Most Relevant Publications
- Tailored plasma-density profiles for enhanced energy extraction in passive plasma beam dumps
- Energy loss of an electron beam with Gaussian density profile propagating in a passive plasma beam dump
- A Passive Plasma Beam Dump Study with Application to EuPRAXIA
- Compact disposal of high-energy electron beams using passive or laser-driven plasma decelerating stage
- Passive and active plasma deceleration for the compact disposal of electron beams
- Staged, Guided Laser-Plasma Accelerators Towards Thomson Photon Sources and High Energy Physics
- Multidimensional aspects of nonlinear electromagnetic solitary pulses
- On the interaction of focused electromagnetic beams and space-charge fields in laser-plasma systems
- Self-consistent dynamics of electromagnetic pulses and wakefields in laser-plasma interactions
- Nonlinear dynamics of electromagnetic pulses in cold relativistic plasmas